Painting Blog, Part 7

At long last! My Daqan infantry command Units for public consumption!

Hey Rune Warriors,

Finally I share my Daqan Infantry and hopefully I have a solution for that pesky problem where your banner carrier.  First to the pictures:

RightLeftFrontBack

In general these guys are focal points of the army and therefore worthy of a couple more coats of highlights and a bit of gloss work to make them shine.

I’ll give a run down from left to right:

The Wizard:

The Wizard was an interesting paint jobs because he added a couple of extra colors to what I normally do.  The white sash and the scrolls presented an interesting opportunity.  First off to practice my white highlighting is always something I dread, but understand I need to get better at.  Second a I thought I could make an interesting effect.  For the white I base coated in Citadel’s Administratum Grey (yes grey!), then did a watered down mix of nuln oil and water and targeted my shading to the crevices.  Using thinned white scar ( about 50/50 water) I slowly built up white to the peaks and flat areas of the model.  I did this similarly on the beard and hair, but left more grey at the roots to create a more diverse gradient.

The scrolls were a neat little effect.  I base coated in Steel Legion Drab, shaded with Agrax Earthshade.  Then I used Ushabti Bone in a very thin mix of 1 part paint to 2 parts water.  Using this almost wash consistency I built up in 2 coats the Ushabti Bone in such a way that the edges of the scrolls still showed very dark from the Steel Legion drab.  Then 2 more coats this time with Screaming Skull in the same ratio as the Ushabti Bone.  I concentrated those coats on the edges and flat areas of the scrolls.  I think it made for a nice little effect.

After the model was matte sprayed gold work was painted over again with Ardcoat.

The Champion:

So there is not much to this guy other than: watch out for those freaking maces!  You look at those wrong and they break.  Again the white work allowed me to practice and the white was built up much in the same way as with the wizard.

I did foul up the facial highlighting a bit, but it turned out ok because now it looks like he has a BAMF scar under his right eye.  Just goes to show that even when you foul up it can just give the miniature character.

The Cornicen:

The main effect on the Cornicen is (obviously) the horn.  I knew I wanted something fairly ornate.  Since my Daqan scheme is purple and gold the horn should match, but also stand out from the gold of the armor.  So I decided on brass and gold to tie into, but compliment the armor.  In this case silver was definitely an inferior choice and even worse when paired with crimson ;).

For the brass sections I started with Warplock Bronze and shaded with Agrax Earthshade.  I highlighted up with thin coats of almost every Citadel product that was brass, bronze or copper.  That wasn’t because I wanted an effect of any specific kind, it was due to my indecision.  I finally settled on the layers of Warplock, Sycorax Bronze and a mix of Sycorax Bronze and Balthasar Gold (about 3:1 Bronze to Gold).  The gold portions are the standard Retributor Armour, Liberator Gold with an extra highlight on the maximum highlights of 50/50 Liberator with Stormhost Silver.  Again because I want the horn to stand out I used Ardcoat on the horn after the matt spray.

The Bannerman:

This was my very standard paint job.  The big exception here was that I had to make 2 new decals for the flag.  It took a bit of extra time to do because I needed more coats of Micro Sol to encourage the decals to sit in the recesses of the banners ( I describe my decal process in painting blog part 4).

One thing always bothered me about this guy though: his inability to hold his flag straight.  I forgot to take a before picture but I’ll walk through how I did this.

First I straightened the flag as best I could using steam to loosen the plastic and going directly into an ice bath to “temper” it to the position I want (yes, I know plastic doesn’t temper it’s my colloquial way of describing it).

After Water

Next I cut the flag right above the fist where there is a break in the staff wrapping.  It’s a pretty natural break and easy to hide when it’s time to put it back together.  I also cut a segment about a third of an inch from a clip to reinforce the inside.  I used the closest drill bit to the size of the metal I had and drilled into the flagstaff on both sides trying my best to keep the drill centered and straight as I went.  This led to slow deliberate drilling.  I did not want to have to do any more repairs than necessary.

Cut and Drill

After the holes were drilled and the metal piece dry fitted in both sections I glued the metal into the bottom of the flagstaff first.

Pinned

Once that was dry enough to resist monkey work I lined up and dry fitted the flag to make sure I could still line up the cuts and it wouldn’t be to terribly misaligned.

After Glue

After that it is a simple matter of gluing the top on and admiring how much better this guy is able to hold up his flag now that he has a reinforced staff.

Sorry for the delinquency in posts!  I hope to get the guys doing more, and bringing you more painting blog in the near future now that my Latari and well on their way.

Daqan:

Heroes: 2/3

Spearmen 36/40

Cavalry 12/12

Rune Golems 4/4

Infantry Command 4/4

Latari:

Heroes: 1/3

Archers: 16/32

Leonx: 4/16

Scions: 1/6

Infantry Command 0/8

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s